It has been generally stated that to obtain a work permit in Canada or other foreign nations, you must have a job offer from a Canadian employer or the employer in the country where you wish to immigrate. While this is true for most foreign nations, in Canada, you do not have to have a job offer before applying for a work permit.
Indeed, Canada is suffering from a skilled worker shortage and is looking to accept talented workers who have the credentials to fill open positions in the country. Certain schemes allow immigrants to qualify for permanent residency without first finding work.
How Do You Immigrate to Canada Without a Job Offer?
There are two ways you could get a Canadian work permit without securing an employment offer first and they include: The Express Entry System and The Provincial Nomination Program
The Express Entry System:
We mentioned the Express Entry program earlier on this page and how it is created by the Canadian government to present opportunities to immigrants to come to Canada without necessarily securing an employment offer. Well, the Express Entry program is not a type of visa in Canada; it is more like a filtering system that ensures Canada only invites immigrants who are eligible and have what the country is demanding in terms of skills. Through this program, immigrants are selected and invited to apply for permanent residency in Canada.
To apply, you must first determine whether you qualify for the Express Entry program and have the papers listed previously in this piece. If you are qualified and meet all of the conditions, you can create an online profile on the IRCC website.
You will be added to a pool of applicants after successfully creating an online profile. All of the data and accompanying material you provided will then be calculated, and you will be graded based on the result. The top scorers will be allowed to seek permanent residency in Canada.
In the pool, you will fall under one of the following categories:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program: under this category are people with qualifications, educational certificates, and skills in managerial and professional occupations.
- Federal Skilled Trades Program: under this category are people with qualifications or experience in a particular trade occupation.
- Canada Experience Class: under this category are people with one or more years of Canadian working experience.
The Provincial Nomination Program:
This is another way to immigrate to Canada with no initial job offer. Immigrants have the opportunity to appeal to any province directly through this program and they’d receive an invitation to apply (ITA). So, if a particular province is seeking a particular skill to fill up a vacant position you may become eligible for an invitation if you possess such skill. Categories under this program include:
- In-demand/critical impact categories; for severe labour shortages in provinces
- Skilled worker categories; specifically for immigrants with significant experience or qualifications in their occupations
- International Graduate categories
How Do You Determine Which Skills Are in High Demand in Canada?
There are programs in Canada designed expressly to lure talented immigrants to the country, and you do not need a work offer to be invited to apply for a visa to Canada. Canada offers excellent prospects to foreigners, particularly those with talents in high demand in the country.
Health, finance, technology, and many other industries are represented in the Canadian labour force. They also include jobs that do not require a college diploma, such as truck driving and painting. So, if you have a skill(s) and the required competence that correspond to any of the fields related to the Canadian labour market, you may be able to apply for a Federal Skilled Worker visa.
To evaluate your abilities The Canadian government launched the Express Entry program, which checks your qualifications and selects and invites you to apply for permanent residency in Canada based on this assessment. The Canadian government produces a list of occupations and skills that are in demand in the Canadian workforce at any given moment, and the recurring occupations include:
- Pharmacist: Average Salary: $89,314
- University Professor and Lecturer: Average Salary: $83,584 (lecturer), $100,300 (professor)
- General Laborer and Construction Craft Worker: Average Salary: $47,678
- Electrical Engineer: Average Salary: $91,832
- Registered Nurse (RN): Average Salary: $77,603
- Human Resources (HR) Managers: Average Salary: $89,003
- Welder: Average Salary: $73,504
- Software Engineer: Average Salary: $100,562
- Veterinarians (Vets): Average Salary: $95,804
- Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanic Heavy equipment technician, and Agricultural equipment technician: Average Salary: $82,864
In addition to having the talents, you must also complete other conditions that will allow you to score high in the point ranking system, keeping you ahead of other applicants.
Applicants with at least one year of full-time work experience, who meet the minimum language requirements, and so on, will be eligible to apply for immigration to Canada. There are two ways to obtain a Canadian work permit without previously obtaining a job offer in Canada: The Provincial Nomination Program and the Express Entry System
About the Canadian Express Entry Program
The Canadian Express Entry Program is just an online system through which skilled immigrants are selected and invited to apply for permanent residents. It is a pool filled with applicants who have shown interest to move to Canada as skilled workers.
Applicants who are part of this program are ranked based on their qualifications, skills, language proficiency, etc. And those who have the most score will be invited to apply for permanent residency in a particular province in Canada.
Immigrants can apply to be part of this program if they meet the requirements needed and have the documents required and which includes
- A passport or travel document
- Language test results
- Proof of Canadian education or similar educational credential assessment report. If you don’t have an educational certificate, you can present a skilled trade certificate
- Proof of work experience
- Proof of fund
- You may also boost your chances if you have a relative in Canada who is either a permanent resident or Canadian citizen willing to be your sponsor.