Skip to content

How to Get a Visa for Germany

Do you need a visa to go to Germany? Find out all about Germany’s visa and permit requirements and how to apply. Certain nationalities coming to Germany need a work permit, student visa, or family reunion visa to stay in the country. Make sure you check the requirements well in advance before travelling to Germany to avoid any problems at the border. Read the following sections to find out all about:

  • Immigration in Germany
  • Who needs a German visa?
  • Types of German visas
  • Short-stay Germany visas
  • Long-term Germany visas
  • Residence and citizenship in Germany
  • Arriving in Germany
  • Appeals and complaints

Immigration in Germany

--Advertisement-- --Advertisement--

As the most populous and economically powerful nation in the EU, Germany attracts many people each year who visit, live temporarily, or settle. The German authorities processed over 2.5 million visa applications in 2019. Only France issues more visas in the EU. These figures decreased significantly in 2020 and 2021 due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. However, they are expected to pick up again over the next couple of years.

Like many EU/EFTA countries, Germany operates a two-tier immigration system. EU/EFTA citizens can travel and live in Germany without visa or permit restrictions. However, anyone from outside the EU/EFTA needs a visa if they stay longer than three months. Germany is also part of the Schengen Area, meaning that it has no border controls for nationals from 25 other European countries.

Just over 14% of the German population (11.8 million) is foreign-born. Nearly twice as many have a migrant background (22.3 million, or almost 27%). The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge – BAMF) is the government agency responsible for issuing visas and integrating new arrivals in Germany.

Who Needs a German Visa?

EU/EFTA Nationals:

Citizens from the European Union (EU) or European Free Trade Association (EFTA – consisting of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland) don’t need a German visa or residence permit. They simply need a valid passport or ID card to show at border control. EU/EFTA citizens can stay for more than three months if they are working, training, studying, looking for work, or have sufficient funds to support themselves.

If you arrive as an EU/EFTA citizen and plan to stay longer than three months, you simply register with your residents’ registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt). Certain family members of EU/EFTA nationals can travel and stay in Germany without needing a visa.

Non-EU/EFTA Nationals:

Citizens from outside the EU/EFTA generally need a German visa to come to Germany. Sixty-two countries – including Australia, Brazil, Canada, Japan, and the US  have agreements with Schengen Area countries, which allow their citizens to stay for up to 90 days without a visa. However, they will need a German visa or residence permit to stay longer than this. The EU also plans to introduce the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) by the end of 2022. This is an electronic visa waiver system that will be a requirement for anyone from these 62 countries staying in the Schengen Area for less than three months.

If you are from a country that doesn’t have a visa agreement with Germany, you will need to apply for a visa to enter, and you will need a German residence permit if your stay is longer than three months.

Would You Like To Apply For This Opportunity?

Enter Your Email Address HERE & You Will Receive a Notification About Your Application Immediately.

Different rules apply to ethnic German resettlers descended from German nationals living in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, who can automatically obtain German citizenship. Special rules also apply to Jewish migrants coming to Germany.

UK Nationals in Germany Since Brexit:

Following Britain’s withdrawal from the EU, effective from 1 January 2021, UK nationals are now subject to immigration controls in Germany and other member states. The UK is one of the 62 nations whose citizens can travel visa-free to Germany for up to 90 days. However, UK nationals are not allowed to take up employment or any economic activity in Germany during this period. Additionally, family members accompanying UK nationals will need a visa if they are not from a country with a visa agreement in place. Those from the UK wanting to stay in Germany for more than 90 days will need a relevant German visa or residence permit relating to their stay.

See also  20 Best Countries To Relocate To Now!

Types of German Visa

There are essentially two types of German visas:

  • Short-stay visas, also known as Schengen type C visas, are valid for stays of up to 90 days in any 180 days
  • Long-stay visas, also known as type D National visas, are for stays of over 90 days.

Short-stay German Visas:

There are various categories of type C short-stay German visas, which are:

General Information About Short-stay Germany Visas

You can apply for a short-stay German visa at any of the following:

  • German embassy or consulate in your home country
  • Visa application centre
  • Embassy/consulate of another Schengen country

You will need to provide the following:

  • Completed visa application form along with accompanying declaration form
  • Two passport photos
  • Valid passport or travel ID
  • Details of your return flight
  • Accommodation details for your stay
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of sufficient funding to cover your trip, currently amounting to at least €45 a day
  • Information confirming the purpose of your trip
  • Any relevant documentation relating to the purpose of your trip

Short-stay visas typically take around 15 days to process. As part of the application process, you will need to attend a short interview at the embassy, consulate, or application centre. The visa cost is €80, €40 for children aged under 12, and free for children under six. You usually cannot extend or exchange this visa unless there are exceptional circumstances.

--Advertisement-- --Advertisement--

Tourist Visa:

You can use a tourist visa for vacations or visiting family or friends. However, you will need to provide proof of relationship if staying with relatives, or a letter from the tour organizer if you are travelling as part of an official tour. If people you are staying with are covering any of your expenses, you can include proof of this (for example, bank statements or receipts) as part of your evidence of sufficient funding.

Business Visa:

Business visas cover business meetings, events, conferences, and other purposes relating to work or self-employment. You will need to provide a letter of invitation from the host organization in Germany or a letter of permission from your employer in your home country.

Visa for Official Visits:

This visa is for:

  • Meetings
  • Consultations
  • Negotiations
  • Events held by intergovernmental organizations
    You will need to provide a letter of invitation from the host organization with your other documents, plus a note from the consular department if you are travelling on official diplomatic business.

Medical Visa:

You can apply for a medical visa for treatment in a German hospital or specialist centre. In addition to the standard documentation, you also need to provide:

  • Letter from a doctor or medical specialist in your home country confirming that you need treatment abroad
  • Confirmation from the institution in Germany that they have agreed to provide the treatment
  • Proof of upfront payment for the treatment or evidence that your health insurance covers it.

Visa for Cultural and Sports Events or Film Crews:

This very particular visa is for those participating in cultural events, sports, official filming, or religious activities. You will need to provide event information, for example, an official program, invitation letters, or tickets purchased. For film events, you need to provide information about the film, a list of crew members, a letter from the filmmakers, and proof that the visa holders are qualified and authorized as a film-making crew.

Trade Fair and Exhibitions Visa:

This visa is for events relating to work or leisure. You will need to provide a letter of invitation or proof of ticket purchase to confirm your attendance. In addition, you also need to give the business license details of the organizers.

Training/Internship Visa:

Training or internship visas are for students staying for a short time, and for training visits. You will need to show confirmation of acceptance onto the course, or a letter confirming the internship from the host organization. If the placement involves paid work, you may need a work permit from the local employment agency. It’s advisable to apply early if this is the case.

Transit Visas:

Some nationals need these visas to pass through Germany by plane or boat, for example, if you are changing flights in Germany. The cost of this visa is €60.

See also  How to Get a Visa For Germany| All You Need To Know

Long-term German Visas:

Long-stay German visas, or type D national visas, are for stays in Germany of longer than three months. If you’re a national of a country that needs a visa to enter Germany, you will need to apply for a visa and residence permit before you arrive. Otherwise, you can either apply before you arrive or apply for a residence permit once you are in Germany. There are three main types of long-stay visas in Germany: work visas, student visas, and visas for a family reunion.

Work Visas:

There are several different work-related visas for long-term work in Germany. These are:

  • Skilled workers with vocational qualifications – for workers qualified in vocational fields, for example, construction, hospitality, or plumbing
  • Graduate workers – for those qualified to at least a degree level
  • Skilled workers without training or qualifications – for IT specialists with at least three years experience
  • Scientists – for researchers and PhD students
  • Intra-corporate transfer (ICT) employees – for managers, specialists, and trainees
  • Self-employment and freelancing – to start your own business if you can show proof of funding and demonstrate your idea will benefit the German economy; or for freelancers with a necessary license to practice one of the liberal professions
  • Au pairs – 12-month visa for au pairs aged under 27
  • Internships – for students wanting to carry out professional work experience
  • Working holidays – for nationals of certain countries aged 18-30 to take part in a program lasting up to 12 months
  • Volunteering – to take part in European Voluntary Service (EVS) activities
  • Visas for nationals of specific countries – citizens of 16 countries can get a residence permit without any qualifications if they have a job offer in Germany
    These visas typically last for as long as your job contract, up to five years. After this, you can usually apply for a permanent German residence permit.

If you are a graduate or a skilled worker with vocational qualifications, you can get a work visa to look for a job for up to six months. Everyone else needs a job offer to get a German visa for work purposes.

Education Visas:

There are four types of long-stay study visas in Germany:

  • Student visa – for full-time higher education learning at a college or university
  • School visas – for school exchanges, language courses, or attending an independent German school for an extended period
  • Vocational training visa – for either school-based or in-company dual training at a German technical college, vocational college, or vocational school
  • Language course visa – for German language courses lasting up to 12 months

As with work visas, these German visas are typically for the duration of your placement. You can take up part-time work on a student or vocational training visa, but this is restricted to 10 hours per week on the vocational visa.

If you graduate from a German educational institution, you can stay in Germany for up to 12 months to look for a job on a vocational visa, and up to 18 months on a student visa.

Family Reunion Visas:

Spouses/partners and dependent children under 18 (older if they meet certain conditions) can apply for a family reunion Germany visa. In addition, the following relatives can also apply:

  • Family members of German Nationals – parents or dependent children aged under 18, plus other dependent relatives in certain circumstances
  • Relatives of EU/EFTA Nationals – children aged under 18-21 (if EU family member is employed), plus grandchildren, parents, and grandparents if they are dependants
  • Family members of third-country Nationals – other dependent relatives in certain circumstances. Family members joining on a reunion visa have the right to seek work in Germany. However, anyone travelling as a dependant will need to prove that the relative they are joining has enough money to support them. They will also need to live in the same household as a family unit.

General Information About Long-stay German Visas

The application process for long-stay German visas is largely the same as for short-stay visas if you apply in your home country before entering Germany. However, if you apply once you are inside Germany, you will need to visit your local immigration office (Ausländerbehörde).

--Advertisement-- --Advertisement--

In addition to the standard documentation, you will typically need to provide:

Proof of the reason for your stay, for example, a job contract, confirmation of study placement, or marriage certificate.
Evidence of necessary qualifications needed for your job or study placement, along with German recognition of any foreign qualifications or certificates.
Proof that you can understand German at a level that corresponds to your job or study. If you are an adult applying on a family visa, you typically need to demonstrate a basic level of German.
Long-stay visas generally cost €75, or €37.50 for children. Your spouse and any dependent children under 18 can apply with you, although they will need to make their visa application. Alternatively, they can apply later for a family reunion visa.

See also  Green Card Lottery USA – How To WIN The American VISA Lottery 2024

Residence and citizenship in Germany
EU/EFTA nationals don’t need to apply for a residence permit to move to Germany. However, they need to register with the resident’s registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) if staying for longer than three months.

Third-country nationals will need to apply for a German residence permit if staying for longer than three months. If you need to apply for an entry visa, you will usually do this through the German embassy/consulate or visa application centre in your home country, along with your visa application before you arrive. Otherwise, you can do this through your local Immigration Office (Ausländerbehörde) within the first three months of your stay.

Types of German residence permit
There are essentially three broad types of residence permits in Germany. These are:

Temporary residence permits – usually valid for up to five years. These permits may be valid for shorter periods, for example, one year, but you can renew them. They will be linked to the purpose of your stay.
EU Blue Card – this is a four-year permit for highly skilled and qualified migrants that allows holders to travel to and work in other EU/EFTA countries.
Permanent residence permits – you can usually apply for this after five years of living continuously in Germany on a temporary permit. This is shorter in some cases, for example, two years for skilled workers who have graduated from a German university and 33 months for EU Blue Card holders.
Residence card costs vary slightly across the German states and depend on the length and purpose of your stay. Temporary permits are usually €50-100, while permanent permits can cost €110-150. The EU Blue Card is currently €110. You will have to pay to renew any of these permits.

Once you have lived in Germany for eight years (in most cases), you can apply for full German citizenship and get a German passport if you meet the eligibility criteria.

Since 2011, Germany has issued electronic residence permits.

Residence permits for UK nationals living in Germany after Brexit
Although UK citizens are now subject to German immigration controls since the implementation of Brexit on 1 January 2021, those living in Germany before that date can benefit from the Withdrawal Agreement. This means that they can apply for a new residence card through their local immigration office (Ausländerbehörde), which gives them the same rights as they had as EU citizens.

The new residence card is valid for either five or ten years. After eight years of continuous residence, British nationals may apply for German citizenship. The deadline for applying for the new permit was 30 June 2021.

Family members of UK citizens living in Germany before 1 January 2021 can also apply for residence through the scheme. This applies to spouses/partners, children under 21, and any dependent direct ascendant or descendant relatives.

You can find out more about the rights of UK nationals living in Germany on the German Ministry of the Interior website and the UK government website.

Arriving in Germany
All new arrivals in Germany need to register with their residents’ registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) if staying for longer than three months. You should do this within two weeks of arriving. Registration is required for tax and social security purposes.

Other things you may want to consider during the first days of arriving are:

Registering for healthcare in Germany
Opening a German bank account
Sorting out your utilities and telecommunications
Getting a German SIM card
If you want to learn more about German culture and society or fit in with the locals, you can enrol in one of the many integration courses.

Appeals and complaints
If your visa application has been turned down, you can appeal the decision with the German embassy or consulate within one month of receiving the verdict. You can find information on how to write a good appeal letter here.

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your appeal, you can take it to the administrative courts in Germany within one month of receiving the decision.

--Advertisement-- --Advertisement--

Would You Like To Apply For This Opportunity?

Enter Your Email Address HERE & You Will Receive a Notification About Your Application Immediately.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Would you like to receive daily scholarships updates + job offers & including special opportunities?