Who says your gifts and talents cannot pave the ways for you to travel across borders to make a better living? If you are a tailor and you want to express your gifts in the United States of America, there is a way to go about it. All you need to do is to look for sewing jobs in the USA with a VISA sponsorship.
If you can get hired for one of these jobs, the rest is history. Let’s take a look at the various rudiments of achieving this goal in the remaining parts of this article.
When you get a firm to grant you a VISA sponsorship, your entry to the United States becomes easier than it should be. And better still, you do not have to fund your journey to the United States.
This is a very good opportunity for people who want to experience better life and income by going to the United States of America but do not have enough money to sponsor their trips.
Who Is a Sewer?
A sewer is a person skilled in the art of preparing or making clothes. The term ‘sewer’ is not commonly used. Some of them are called tailors or seamstresses.
These people are responsible for amending suits, shirts, trousers, and other types of clothing. A sewer can also make clothes for both genders.
Types Of Sewing Jobs in USA and Their Salaries
The term ‘sewer’ is a general term. There are different types of sewers addressed in different ways which are;
- Upholsterer: An Upholster is a person whose major responsibility is to prepare, repair, replace and make the coverings of furniture. The Hourly wage of these professionals is between $23 to $31 on average level.
- Presser: A presser is a professional whose duty is to make clothes straight by ironing them. The hourly wage of the professionals is between $16 to $23.
- Pattern Maker: A pattern maker is a worker who is skilled in the art of producing patterns on fabrics for the use of the clothing industry. These pattern makers draft patterns based on the sketch styles of the designer. The average hourly salary of a pattern maker ranges between $20 to $23 per hour.
- Seamstress: a seamstress is a name given to a professional female who sews and makes clothes her job. The assumed salary of a seamstress per hour ranges between $11 and $16.
- Tailor: A tailor is a person who makes and alters garments such as suits, jackets, and dresses to fit or suit their customers. The average hourly salary of a tailor ranges between $12 to $25.
- Cutter: In this case, a cutter is a person whose major function is to cut fabric for garments for sewing or selling. The hourly salary of this person is between $17 and $20.
- Sewing Machine Operator: The major job of a sewing machine operator is to sew or decorate clothing and other clothing product. They make sure that their machine is stocked with thread, Position material under needles, and guide their stitching to make sure they sew parts together. Sewing machine operators earn an average of $13 to $17 per hour in the USA.
- Material Handler: The major duty of a machine handler is to ensure the orderly production and distribution of products by pulling orders from inventory and delivering production materials and supplies where they are needed. The average hourly salary of Material handlers is between $15 to $17 per hour.
- Weaver: A weaver is a person who makes fabric by weaving fibre together. Mostly, these people use an instrument called a loom that holds threads tightly as they are being woven.
Companies that Offer VISA sponsorship for Sewers in USA
Here is a list of companies giving out visa sponsorship to foreign Sewers in the United States of America;
- Sugar House Industries: This company is looking forward to hiring a full-time Maine Upholster to refurnish the interiors of their boats. If you are experienced in the upholstery field, this is the right job for you. This job is expected to pay between $35,000 – $65,000.
- Elite Survival Systems: The lifestyle brand and manufacturing company in Washington, Elite Survival industries is looking for an experienced industrial sewing machine operator to sew at home.
- Buchanan Aviation Inc: This company is looking for a permanent person having sewing and upholstery skills and experience. To get this job, you must be able to operate a commercial sewing machine. The pay ranges from $30 to $50 per hour.
- Lakeside Book Company: Lakeside Book Company is looking for a Sewing operator to work on shift. This operator will work on duties like operating and manufacturing sewing machines, setting up and making machine adjustments, etc. As a sewing operator in this company, you will earn about $18 per hour for a day shift and $50 per hour for hourly shifts.
Requirements To Apply for Sewing Visa Sponsorship Jobs
To get a Sewing job in the United States of America, you must have the following qualifications;
- You must be able to speak English fluently
- Have at least 2 years of working experience
- You must be up to 18 years of age.
- Have a certificate that shows the completion of your tailoring apprenticeship
- You must have the ability to make use of sewing equipment.
Skills Required by a Sewer
To perform the role of a tailor, you must have the following skills;
- A steady hand
- You must have the ability to pay attention to details
- Thorough knowledge of fabrics and design
- You must have pattern-cutting skills
- Good eyesight
- Good business skills as well.
Salary Of a Sewer in The United States
The average annual salary of a Sewer in the United States of America ranges from $29,000 to $41,000 per year. The specific salaries of these experts can be more or less than this.
Responsibilities or Duties of a Person Working Full-Time or Part-Time Sewing Jobs in USA With Visa Sponsorship
The responsibilities of sewers in the United States of America are;
- They help clients choose the right fabrics or materials for an outfit.
- Tailors take accurate measurements for a person who wants to sew.
- Sewers choose styles and designs for their clients
- Tailors or sewers adjust and amend clothes.
Benefits Of Working Sewing Jobs in USA With Visa Sponsorship
There are lots of benefits that people can get from doing sewer jobs in the United States of America. Some of these benefits are;
- Health insurance
- Good and flexible working schedules
- Good salaries
- You do not require any special certification to become a sewer in the United States of America.
- Paid days off
- You will get access to wellness programs.
Type Of Visa to Apply for To Get a Sewing Visa Sponsorship Job In USA
To get tailoring jobs in the United States of America with VISA sponsorship, you will have to apply for any of the following types of VISAs;
H-1B: Sponsorship Visa
The H1B Visa is the type of Visa that provides authority for the employment of a qualified individual who is not otherwise authorized to work in the USA. This VISA intends to help employers that cannot otherwise obtain the business skills needed and abilities from the U.S workforce for certain speciality occupations.
H-2B: Temporary Visa
This is a non-immigrant VISA that permits employers to temporarily hire nonimmigrants to perform nun agricultural labour or services in the United States. The type of employment granted with this visa must be temporary.
EB-3: Employment-Based Visa
This is one VISA you should apply for if you are willing to migrate to the USA. For you to apply for this type of VISA, you must have enough working experience in Sewing and you must get a job offer from the United States.
Where To Find Sewing Jobs in USA With Visa Sponsorship
To find these types of jobs in the United States from your own country, you will have to search, and apply online. There are lots of platforms that you can use to get these jobs. Two of these websites are;
How To Apply for a Sewing Job in USA
With these two platforms, you can have job openings from all over the world, follow the steps given below to apply for a sewer job with VISA sponsorship with these platforms.
- Firstly, make sure you have all the qualifications and requirements needed to get a sewer job in the United States with a VISA sponsorship.
- Now, make sure your documents are ready. Prepare an excellent Curriculum Vitae, Resume, and cover letter.
- After you have done that, visit any of the websites given above.
- Now search for sewer jobs with VISA sponsorship and get suggestions from the website.
- Now, visit the official websites of the job suggestions and study the requirements and rewards of the jobs to be sure that it is what you want.
- After handpicking the best jobs for you, apply for these jobs online.
- You will have to wait for the recruiter to contact you for the job interview.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Get Sponsorship to Work in the USA With Visa?
Just as we have explained in this article, you will need a job offer from a US employer to get sponsorship. You must sign a contract sent by your intending employer.
How Much Is US Visa Sponsorship?
Generally, it will cost about $4000 to sponsor an American VISA. If a company has about 50 employees with 50% of these employees foreign, it will spend about $8,000 to $9,000.
What Are the Top Companies that Sponsor Foreigner’s VISAS?
Some of the top countries that sponsor American VISAs for foreigners are;
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Cognizant Technology Solutions US.
- HCL America
How Long Does It Take to Get Sponsorship In the USA?
It will take an average of 5 to 19 months to process the U.S. VISA. The USCIS processes petitions on a first-come, first-serve basis.