Consumer services are all those necessary and individually identifiable intangible actions that satisfy customer needs. Services do not necessarily have to be connected to the selling of a good or another type of service.
For instance, financial services, storage services, etc. Services necessitate direct communication between the service provider and the customer, which enables the supplier to adapt the service as needed to the needs and preferences of the customer. Services are just intended to satisfy the requirements and wants n of the consumer; they do not include any manufacture or production of commodities.
Consumer services are any services that are sold to customers. Consumer Services are intangible and cannot be touched; they are not concrete objects that people can touch or measure. Consumer service is an intangible product provided to individuals rather than enterprises. Service providers, such as firm employees; equipment such as vehicle equipment, cash registers, and electronic devices; physical facilities such as buildings; customer connections; and individual service users are all involved in service delivery.
On the same note, Customer service is also referred to as the assistance you provide to your clients to make their interactions with you simple and enjoyable, both before and after they purchase and utilize your goods or services. If you want to keep clients and expand your business, you must provide outstanding customer service.
What Are The 4 Main Types of Consumer Services?
We have categorized consumer service into four main types, each of which includes multiple consumer service fields; the four of them will be discussed further below.
The types of consumer service are:
- Business Service
- Social Service, and
- Personal Service
- Technical Service
Business services are the products and services that businesses utilize to carry out their operations. The business services support the company but do not provide material goods. For instance, transportation services move items, inventory, raw materials, etc. from one location to another without producing a visible outcome. Insurance, banking, warehousing, transportation, and communication services are the main business services. Consumer services examples are:
Social services are those that are offered voluntarily by an individual or group of individuals to further certain social objectives. The social objectives include raising the standard of living for the most vulnerable members of society, providing poor children and adults with access to education and healthcare, and ensuring sanitary conditions in slum regions. Social service providers typically offer services voluntarily in exchange for payment to cover their expenses. As a result, these service providers are not in it for the money. Consider the educational resources or services that NGOs offer to underprivileged youngsters.
Personal services are those that provide various clients with a unique experience. These services vary depending on the service provider, the wants and tastes of the customers, and other factors. Consider restaurants, lodging, travel, etc.
Types of Companies in the Consumer Services
- Insurance Service
- Web Design Firms
- Companies that provide Content Writing Services
- Financial Institutions
- Beauty and Skincare Services
- Media and Entertainment
- Travel and tourism
- Banking And Finance
- Cable and Direct
- Broadcast Satellite (DBS) Providers
- Leisure and recreation
Characteristics of Consumer Service
Consumer services are distinct from all other consumer products and are not generic because there are various consumer types and they each have individual needs. Here are the characteristics of consumer service:
- Inconsistency: Because there is no actual product in the services, they are erratic and must be completed exclusively by the service provider each time. Furthermore, various customers have varied expectations, desires, and demands. As a result, service providers should tailor their offerings to fit the needs of their clients as precisely as feasible. Beauty salon services, for example.
- Inventory: As was previously explained, since services don’t have any physical components, we can’t store them for later use. Simply put, because of their perishable nature, services cannot be stored in their entirety but can be accompanied by linked items that can be kept for later use. An airline ticket, for instance, can be bought and stored, but it can only be used to travel once it is delivered to the consumer by the airline.
- Participation: A consumer takes part in the service’s creation. Simply put, because the consumer is the service’s recipient, their engagement during service delivery is required. However, service providers can adjust their offerings to better suit the needs of their clients. For instance, Urban Clap is unable to deliver massage services if the client is absent or refuses to take part.
- Inseparability: Production and consumption of services cannot be separated because they take place simultaneously. For instance, if we produce a television now, we can sell it tomorrow. We cannot, however, do so with services since they must be used as they are produced. Although service providers might create a replacement for their services based on their needs, the consumer connection is a crucial component of services.
- Intangible: Services are intangible by their very nature. It indicates that the services offered to a customer cannot be felt, seen, or touched; rather, they can only be experienced. People cannot taste, feel, or touch a service, so they are unable to judge its quality before consumption, which leads to the purchase. To give clients the outcomes they want, service providers must constantly improve their offerings. For instance, a doctor should give a patient a positive experience.
Top Consumer Services Companies
The consumer services field is a large and diverse sector that encompasses businesses that provide goods and services to customers. In the United States, there are over 400,000 consumer service businesses. Some of the most well-known companies in the country are in the consumer services sector, exactly because they are companies that customers deal with regularly and brands that people remember at a glance.
What Are Some Examples of Companies Providing Consumers With Services?
1. Apple Inc. (Headquarters: Cupertino, California)
Apple Inc. is a consumer services innovator that offers a range of products and services. Consumers like Apple’s mobile phones, tablets, laptops, portable music players, and other devices for leisure and productivity. Through its affiliated companies, Apple provides a range of services in addition to products. The benefits and difficulties of working in customer service for Apple are numerous. Depending on their job duties, support and service professionals may telecommute. Many people seem to prefer working for the Apple support and service division because of the welcoming workplace culture and the opportunity to learn new things.
2. AirBnB (Headquarters: San Francisco, California)
This company employs more than 6000 people. Consumer services are transforming thanks to companies like Airbnb. This organization enables customers to rent out rooms in their houses to vacationers, business travellers, and other people looking for lodging. Despite numerous challenges, such as legal disputes with hotel groups, Airbnb has been a profitable business. It has grown to be a $1 billion company. Despite these problems, Airbnb keeps growing and is still an important player in the sharing economy. Worldwide, Airbnb is used by millions of individuals. There are many jobs in customer service, from host services to social media administration. For additional money, you can also launch an Airbnb business.
3. Amazon (Headquarters: Seattle, Washington)
Amazon is a global technology company with interests in e-commerce, cloud computing, artificial intelligence (AI), and entertainment. There are constantly customer service job openings because Amazon’s business model caters to hundreds of millions of consumers worldwide. The website offers a wide range of services from the Amazon consumer services team that may be useful to users. For instance, a free trial of Prime membership is available for 30 days. Members have free access to the company’s catalogue of films and television series. The Amazon consumer services division also offers Fresh grocery delivery.
4. MultiChoice Group (Headquarters: Johannesburg, South Africa)
Multichoice Group is one of the most popular consumer service providers in Africa. It was established in 1993. Multichoice group provides a wide range of consumer services and is focused on using entertainment to improve people’s lives.
5. Jumia (Headquarters: Lagos Nigeria)
With a presence in 14 African nations, Jumia is the top pan-African e-commerce site. Its objective is to enhance the quality of daily life in Africa by utilizing technology to offer customers cutting-edge, practical, and reasonably priced online services. It also aims to support businesses in growing as they make use of Jumia’s platform to reach and better serve customers.
The Jumia platform is made up of a marketplace that brings together sellers and buyers, a logistics service that makes it possible for packages to be shipped and delivered from sellers to buyers, and a payment service that makes it possible for participants to conduct transactions with one another in certain markets. More than 80,000 sellers provide a variety of products and on-demand services on the marketplace. Jumia Logistics enables reliable and convenient delivery of goods.
Is Consumer Services A Good Career Path Or A Good Place to Work?
Yes, there are several career options in the consumer service field. Consumer service jobs are available in a variety of industries, often with little or no schooling, and can be part-time or full-time. While different customer service professions have varying responsibilities, all customer service positions require soft skills. Some of jobs roles are listed below:
- Customer Relations and Management Personnel: They act as the company’s face, therefore their top priority is to address the questions and concerns of their clients. You need to be knowledgeable about the business or sector that you work in if you want to succeed in this career.
- Accountants: Accountants are needed in every industry; they play a vital role and are well paid; you are not required to work at a bank simply because you are an accountant. Consider a job offer in this industry where you will be in charge of the company’s finances.
- Marketing Strategist: Another significant job opportunity in this field is for Marketing Specialists. In this field, they create and carry out marketing strategies.
- IT Experts: Create and maintain computer systems, whereas human resources specialists monitor employee files and deal with other personnel issues.
- Social Media Specialist: A social media specialist’s main responsibilities are to develop and implement an organization’s social media strategy to enhance marketing initiatives and brand awareness. By keeping track of and corresponding with clients who contact them through social media sites, specialists can operate in customer service roles.
- Flight Attendant: A flight attendant’s major responsibility is to ensure that passengers are safe while flying to their destination. On the plane, they offer refreshments and chat with passengers about safety rules.
- Support Specialist: A support specialist’s main responsibilities are to assist computer users. They typically work in an organization’s IT division, where they keep a record of all questions about the machines employees are using. Additionally, they collaborate with users to resolve technical issues by enquiring about the descriptions provided.
- Administrative Assistant: An administrative assistant’s main responsibilities include coordinating meetings, making calls, and creating presentations that will help various departments succeed. Along with altering private papers and maintaining the database up to date for accounting purposes, they also collect bills and outgoing mail to transmit to the appropriate recipient.
Tips For Getting A Job in The Consumer Service Field
It is no news that consumer service companies are growing because no one can manage without requiring their services. Companies that provide consumer services are also among the largest employers of labour, and their employees are well compensated. To a significant extent, job security exists in this profession. Having explored the possible career paths in this field above, I would like to share some recommendations to assist you in obtaining your desired job.
Tip 1: Recognize The Profession:
Before choosing a career in customer service, do your homework. Your states and the industries with whom you wish to collaborate will have distinct requirements. While answering your question, “What companies are in the consumer services field?” we have previously explored the industries that fall under the consumer service sector. “It’s also important to assess whether working in consumer services aligns with your long-term goals and lifestyle.
Tip 2: Become Qualified:
Consumer service companies frequently reject applications from those who do not meet the required credentials. Qualifications can be obtained by a university degree, participation in online courses, or other means.
Tip 3: Acquire Some Experience:
Consumer services are not an exception when it comes to the importance of experience. If you’re a recent graduate looking to get experience, internships in the consumer services industry are a great option. The following skills may improve with experience:
- listening to clients
- working as a team
- resolving issues in the real world
- developing both soft and hard talents
- improving organizational skills, handling stress, and more.
Tip 4: Make Sure Your Resume Speaks For You:
If you want to be interviewed, you must have a CV that communicates your value. Hire a professional to help you if you are unsure about your ability to write a resume. To check if you can modify sample resumes and cover letters to suit your needs, look online. You ought to
Tip 5: Complete The Interview Successfully:
Do some study on the company and your position before the interview. Spend some time doing it. You can develop your self-assurance and your capacity to convince employers that you are qualified for the position. Having the competence to accomplish a job and understanding your work’s responsibilities is usually what gets you the job.
What Industries Rely on Customer Service?
Every company in the consumer service field rely on customer service, this is an avenue for them to understand the needs of their consumers to be able to serve them in the right way. Can you think of any companies providing consumers both goods and services? some companies offer both goods and services. For example, Jumia, KFC and others.
Difference Between The Consumer Services Field and Consumer Goods
The distinction between consumer services and consumer goods is not implausible. The two fields have a lot in common and are sometimes confused since they are consumables. However, there are other clear distinctions apart from the name.
Services are ethereal, whereas goods are tangible in the sense that they have a physical existence and can be touched. Both commodities and services are intended to be useful to and satisfying for the consumer.
Consumer goods are essentially commodities provided to customers for their use or enjoyment; however, unlike these, which can be shared and used by others, consumer services cannot be transferred or used by others. This is another significant distinction. Additionally, consumer services cannot be stored while consumer goods can be stored.
Furthermore, consumer services cannot be separated from the service provider, they have total control of the whole process and are involved in every stage, consumer goods can be separated and most of the time, the supplier or producer does not have the details of the final consumer.